You can also use the menus below for more search options.
Local Cultural Centers
Taichung Wenchang Temple
No. 41, Changping E. 2nd Rd., Renmei Vil., Beitun Dist., Taichung City
Hits : 677
Wenchang Temple is located at No. 41, Changping Road, Renmei Village, Beitun District, Taichung City (formerly southeast of Sizhangli Street, Beitun Village) and was constructed to serve the development of the community school. It was originally a Confucian temple, but during the Japanese colonial period, the name was slightly changed to Wenchang Temple.
Ordinarily, Qing dynasty temples of this type in Taiwan were built by local gentry. They were intended to raise the cultural standards of their towns and cities, promote Confucianism, improve local literacy, and train scholars for the imperial examination. Taichung Sizhangli Wenchang Temple was one of these. Its predecessor was Wenwei and Wenbing Shrines, built by local scholars.
According to the colonial-era Taichung Prefecture Datun District Temple Record, Wenwei Shrine was established by local scholar Mr. Zeng in 1798 in order to improve cultural standards. Wenbing Shrine was established in 1800 by an academic society led by scholars Huang Zhengzhong and Lin Zongheng, who also opened an academy nearby. Later, the shrines decided to come together and construct a temple.
Planning began in 1825, and shrine members formed Wenchang Committee. The temple served the worship of Wenchang Dijun, led by the incense burner in his home. Construction began in 1863 and finished in 1871. The temple served the worship of Wenchang Dijun. A community school for local residents was also set up.
Extra funds were used to purchase temple land and agricultural proceeds went toward temple expenses, as well as staff payment.3 The temple was constructed by the two shrines, which retained their original distinction in name, operation, and distribution of assets.
In 1904, the Japanese government took over the longhu wing and converted it to Sizhangli Public School (present-day Beitun Elementary School). The left and right studios were converted to teacher dormitories. Wenwei Shrine had fallen into disrepair and was closed down, and the temple was taken over by Wenbing Shrine.