You can also use the menus below for more search options.
Local Cultural Centers
Lukang Fengshan Temple
No. 26, Dexing St., Lukang Township, Changhua County
Hits : 550
Fengshan Temple was established in 1822. Lugang local gentry’s member Liang Xianrui constructed the building, landowner Lu Xichu donated the land, and Gan Wulue oversaw the project and handled affairs. Local temple followers eagerly donated funds and 1,529 yuan was raised. Construction began in September 1822 and lasted over 2 years, finishing in October 1824.
Fengshan Temple served first the worship of Guangze Zunwang and second Furen Ma, and the name's origin came from the ancestral temple. It was damaged by the Changhua Earthquake in 1848 and then renovated from 1856 - 1859, creating its current appearance.
In 1856, an inscribed board reading "Martial Prowess and Heroism" was granted. Since the temple was located next to the Lukang grain warehouse, it was in front of the Lukang aborigine management sub-prefect yamen, and in 1856, the Beilu aborigine management/ Lukang coastal defence cooperative magistrate and Anping assistant navy right camp guerilla contributed an inscribed board reading "Loyalty, Filial Piety, and Righteousness."’
In 1926, the temple collapsed due to years of neglect and local gentry’s members including Liao Tianxian and Chen Jian proposed renovation, which was completed the following year. Chen Huaicheng, the Lukang street head, wrote the words "Fengshan Temple Renovation Tablet" on a wooden tablet and placed it by the right wall of the Sanchuan Hall.
In 1927, Chen tore down Wanchun Hall and the Xiamen Guild Merchant Center, turned them into a guild hall, and brought the statue of Sufu Wangye to be worshipped at Fengshan Temple. In 1982, a portion of the temple was renovated and Sufu Wangye moved to the left wing.
In 1990, when Dexing Street was expanded, in order to preserve the structure and jiaozhi pottery of the walls of the Sanchuan Hall, the center courtyard was torn down and Sanchuan Hall moved to the back, next to the main hall, forming the current layout. The wall of the center courtyard bears a couplet written by Chen Zonghuang of Qingchang in 1859. Unfortunately, it was demolished in 1990.
In October 2000, Fengshan Temple was declared a county historical site.